Thursday, October 21, 2010

What is Proprioception and how can it help?

One of the things that helped me slow down the pulling, early on, was not allowing myself pull with my left hand. I would not tell myself “I’m not going to pull” because when I ended up pulling, I would beat myself up… Instead I would allow myself to pull but not allow myself to go through the ritual. [I started with saying to myself, “you can pull if you want but you’re not using your left hand”… and then sit on my hand or even better than that,  get a bowl of fresh assorted raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, sprouts, etc. whatever you will eat) and stick your left hand in that bowl and slowly feel the differences in these veggies and then eat them slowly as you feel the erg to pull… That may sound crazy but what you are doing is increasing proprioception to your brain.] Pulling is a highly proprioceptive action and we engage our senses when we pull. Also when you are feeling stressed or bored, try to practice writing your name with your non-dominate hand (the pulling/picking hand most likely). This is great stress relief and it also teaches your mind/body to handle negative emotion better. (It forces you to use areas of your brain that are under-stimulated under normal cercumstances.) Our minds need more proprioception than the average person. Proprioception is the sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body. Unlike the exteroceptive senses by which we perceive the outside world, and interoceptive senses, by which we perceive the pain and movement of internal organs, proprioception is a third distinct sensory modality that provides feedback solely on the status of the body internally. It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other. This is just one piece of the puzzel but it’s a huge piece. You can increase healthy forms of proprioception fist and formost by getting exercise on a daily basis. (Nothing crazy, just walking daily is a start) learn to play an instrument, try the veggie thing or writing with your left hand at the very least get something to fidget with… Start Regular Chiropractic Wellness! (Action Steps here: http://kickthetrich.blogspot.com/2010/11/action-steps-to-overcoming-sensory.html)

1 comment:

  1. Read This for More Info!
    http://www.spinalresearch.com.au/Portals/4/Uploads/PDFs/Wellness%20and%20Chiropractic...perfect%20marriage.pdf

    ReplyDelete